Friday, September 10, 2010

Trying to become Grown-Ups... yeah right.

Well as many of you know, this is Jon's last quarter of Nursing School!!! Which is fantastic and I couldn't be happier, but that also means we're going to have to become real life responsible adults.  We're going to have to live without the backup of student loans and start paying them off instead. Boo...

For those of you that know me well... you know I absolutely love to SHOP.  It's not like I by the best name brands or even expensive clothes, but I go often which is no bueno.  I can't resist using a coupon or a really big sale and I especially love when I have card member only coupons and rewards.

But today as was looking at our finaces, I realized that what we have to last us until Jon gets a "real job".  We have a pretty penny, but not a ton of wiggle room.  Now that shouldn't make me nervous, but it does and this is why.  I'm a "live in the moment" kind of girl.  If I go to a store with 20 bucks in my pocket, I'll spend $19.  I get that from my Momma, we figure spend what you have, sieze the day!!!  So when I go to Old Navy to get some new clothes I figure "I have money in the bank, I can spend, spend spend!" But I don't realize it will be a good month before I get the bill and then all the money in the bank is gone...

So I've made a decision that I'm not too happy about, but I know willl be the right decision. (That's grown up, right?) I have decided that I am going to lock up my credit cards. My Kohl's Card, my Old Navy Visa, and my Gymboree Visa will be locked away until November.  I figure by November Jon will definately have a job lined up, and we'll be making money soon enough. Plus that's when Black Friday is, so you know I'm gonna go crazy for that!  Now, I'm not an idoit, so I'm keeping my Discover Card for emergencies or necessary large ticket items we can actually afford...

I can't believe I'm going to do this... this means no new clothes for Paxton, no new clothes for me and no ridiculous holiday decor from Kohl's.  Of course I will make exceptions and bust out the card when Jon needs some new slacks or ties for interviews... But really, I am going to lock up my cards for 2 whole months. I may have to put them in ice blocks like on Confessions of a Shopaholic, but I WILL DO THIS.

Someone please tell me this whole being a grown up gets easier as I get older... or will I always feel like a 17 year old in the middle of the baby-sitting job that never ends?

No comments:

Post a Comment