Just to preface this... I never get into contravesial conversations on Facebook or Blogger for a reason. It's STUPID. You can't make good points via written text. I can't make any of my hand motions or funny faces. Plus I figure if I just keep it to myself, I'll be right and no one can prove me wrong. WITH THAT SAID...
I have the privledge to be a stay-at-home Mom. Which means I get to watch all ridiculous 4 hours of the Today show. This morning, there was a big ole' controversy over Shape-Up shoes for girls ages 7 and up. The "Moms" were saying it's making our young girls feel like all that matters is looks, and they don't need a toned butt or legs. And the commercial shows a thin girl running away from a guy dressed as a hogdog, cupcake & ice cream cone, which apparently is bad too.
REALLY? Seriously? Now isn't this the same show that loves Mrs. Obama for the "Let's Get Moving" campaign that tells kids to eat healthy and exercise? What's the difference really? If my chunky girl can get some extra work by wearing some shoes, shouldn't she?
All of these "Moms" say that girls need to not be taught that looks come before everything else. But don't they? No one ever comes up and says, "Your baby is so smart." From the time we pop out of the womb, we're judged on beauty and chubbiness (which goes from being adorable to be disgusting). We learn this from adults, our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles. NOT commercials.
Here is a little story for you about a chubby little girl named Patty. When I was about 3-years-old, I was put into a daycare center to help out with my speech. Immediately, I was outcast because I was chubby. I was deemed "Fatty-Patty" and would get sand thrown at me, water poured on me, ignored in the singing circle, ect. Pretty much anything a 3 year old can do to be mean.
This part of my young life shaped my whole life for the better. It taught me that people can be douche bags any age. If you don't want to be my friend, that's your loss. Because I'm awesome and a great, fun person to be around and I have plenty of other people that love me for me. I don't need to waste my time on your negativity.
Sweet and Savory Coconut Rice
6 years ago


A. I love you.
ReplyDeleteB. I would never throw sand at you :o)